This week marks the 50 years of skiing celebrations in Fernie, and the community has organized a series of events to celebrate how far the ski sector has come in the town since 1962, when Fernie Snow Valley ski hill opened.
Don’t miss these great events!
1. Friday March 23 - street party in Downtown Fernie
Fernie’s historical Second Avenue will host a party with music and events for all ages from 6-10pm. More information at www.skifernie.com
2. Saturday March 24 – celebration and party at Fernie Alpine Resort
Ski Heritage Week culminates with a 50th Anniversary Celebration & Party up at the resort, complete with FIREWORKS!
5:00 - 9:00pm - Night Skiing on the Mighty Moose
8:00pm - Glow Stick Parade
9:00pm - Fireworks
All Evening - Griz Bar Ski Heritage Week Party
3. Wednesday, March 21 – classic ski films at the Vogue TheatreRelive the Golden Age of Alpine Skiing- from 1940's Hollywood coming to Sun Valley for lessons, to the birth of Hotdogging in the 1970's Aspen.
This is a bunch of Classic Ski Films by some of Ski Film greatest directors, John Jay, Otto Lang and Dick Barrymore.
Also see Fernie filmmaker Ryan Radchanko's video that captures the tales, passion and people of 50 Years of Skiing History in Fernie.
FREE – 7-9pm
4. Panel discussions by ski industry experts
Join discussions of the past, present and future of the ski industry at the Fernie Seniors Centre, Third Avenue.
Thursday March 22 4-6pm at the Fernie Seniors Centre, Third Avenue. (Free entry)
• 4-4:30 p.m. History of Cat Skiing in the Fernie Area with Doug Feely of Island Lake Lodge and Kim Sedrovic of Fernie Wilderness Adventures
• 4:30 – 5 p.m. History of Snow Safety in the Southern Canadian Rockies with Dave Aikens
• 5:05 - 5:40pm Discussion of ski print media with Iain Mcmillan of Ski Canada magazine and Mike Berard of Skiing Magazine.
Friday, March 23 4-5pm at the Fernie Seniors Centre, Third Avenue. (Free entry)
4- 4:30 p.m. History of Ski Development in BC and the Future of Mountain Living Towns with Al Raine - Mayor, Sun Peaks Resort Municipality and Jimmie Spencer, President Canada West Ski Areas (Ret.)
4:30 - 4:50pm Building brands for the future with Sheldon Decosse - Decosse Custom Skis, Greg Barrow – Edge of the World.
5. A new era begins – Telemark BC events at Fernie Alpine Resort
Newly-formed Telemark BC is holding two events on Saturday March 24 and Sunday March 25.
Saturday: Telemark Open GS
Open to all, no race experience necessary! Challenge yourself, your friends and the telemark community in a fun, 2 run, combined time GS race.
Sunday: Join us for the first Tele-Cross at Fernie Alpine Resort! No experience required, but the tele stance is!
Lots of prizes to be won!
Categories: Junior (U16), Adult (17-59), Masters (60+), Elite
Entry Fee: $25 per day or $35 for the weekend
Competitor discounted lift tickets are available.
Please register in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Fernie Lodging Company’s special last minute savings!
Get your 3rd night 50% OFF or Stay 6 / Pay 4 this Spring
Call Toll Free 1.800.667.9911 to book direct
Fernie Lodging Company Booking Terms & conditions apply.
Based on availability.
Valid for new, direct bookings only & not combinable with any other offer.
Valid for Timberline Lodges,Snow Creek Lodge, Polar Peak Lodges and Thunder Ridge Chalets
Spring season defined as March 1st 2012 - April 30th 2012
Quarter or full ownership shares of Juniper Lodge are now available from $59,900.
Find out more!
Visit the Fernie Vacation Properties real estate mountain office at the Timberline Lodges open from 1 to 5 pm Friday and Saturday.
Juniper Lodge Open House Event dates - Saturday March 24th, 2012 from 3 to 6 pm at #644 Juniper Lodge, Timberline Lodges.
Polar Peak Lodges Open House Event dates - Saturday March 31st, 2012 from 3 to 6 pm at #26 Polar Peak Lodges.