https://www.fernielodgingco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/logo_white.png 0 0 Vacation Login https://www.fernielodgingco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/logo_white.png Vacation Login2012-01-04 19:40:342019-11-11 15:58:57Join us to celebrate 50 years of skiing in Fernie
Join us to celebrate 50 years of skiing in Fernie
By Rebecca Edwards
2012 is here and every skier in Fernie is excited to be part of events to celebrate 50 Years of Skiing in Fernie.
Fernie Snow Valley ski hill opened in 1962 as a community ski area – 50 years later the renamed Fernie Alpine Resort is internationally-renowned as one of the best places in Canada to ski powder.
Fernie is also home to cat skiing operators Island Lake Lodge and Fernie Wilderness Adventures, where you can shred backcountry powder with a comfortable cat machine to take you up and down the mountain, and knowledgeable and experienced mountain guides to show you the best lines.
50 Years of Skiing in Fernie events will take place throughout 2012, thanks to a steering committee of Mike Delich (Fernie Lodging Company owner), Heiko Socher (former Fernie Snow Valley Ski Hill owner) and Andy Cohen (Fernie Alpine Resort manager).
The purpose is to honour skiing in Fernie since 1962, the founders, the employees, the ski school, the ski racing team, the ski patrol/avalanche experts and mountain guides and the areas – Fernie Snow Valley, Island Lake Lodge, Fernie Wilderness Adventures.
The events will create memorable events and lasting memories and will establish and maintain an enduring legacy of the rich cultural history of snow sports and mountain life.
50 Years of Skiing in Fernie – event calendar
• Several events will be held to coincide with the display at the Fernie Museum and the Ski Canada Ski Week in March.
• In late January, former employees, ski patrollers and the public will bring their collection of photos for an evening to reminisce on the past 50 years.
• In February, the Fernie Classic Art Show at several locations will be held. The judged event with many art categories will see prizes awarded by an esteemed panel of judges.
• In March, former ski racers will gather on March 17 to have a social and a fun ski race. Alumni from the Fernie Ski Club, the Elk Valley Racers, Fernie Snow Valley Racers and the Fernie Alpine Ski Team are expected to attend. Gordie Bowles, Editor of SR (Ski Racing) Magazine has already started contacting his former team mates.
• On March 24, Dave Rogers, the long-time ski school director will be organizing a classic ski school reunion. Former employees and instructors from across Canada will spin tales and demonstrate their ski techniques. It is expected that the attendees will bring fashions and equipment of the last 50 years.
Also part of the organizing team are Dave Aikens, Barry Hulburd, Dave Rogers, Dr. Rod Geddis, Dave O’Haire ( the first employee of Fernie Ski Resort).
Look out for more information on the events coming soon!
Aerial photo of Fernie Alpine Resort by Henry Georgi