Power of Powder history of skiing exhibition at Fernie Museum
If you are intrigued about how Fernie Alpine Resort went from being a not-for-profit community-run ski hill to being one of Canada’s top ski resorts in 50 years, you should pay a visit to Fernie Museum’s Power of Powder exhibition this winter.
Fernie Alpine Resort is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, and the community of Fernie community has organized a number of events
Fernie Museum’s Power of Powder exhibition, which will be on display until April 2012, uses photos, video, ski memorabilia and oral histories, to tell the stories of the people who helped Fernie grow into the international ski destination it is today.
Ryan Radchenko of Powder Highway Productions produced the Power of Powder film about the ski hill’s story, winning him the people’s choice award at the Fernie Mountain Film Festival. The movie can be viewed at the museum as part of the display.
March 18-24 is officially Ski Heritage Week in Fernie, with a number of events to inform, entertain and reminisce about ski days gone by.
Wednesday, March 21
Free Classic Ski Film Night at the Vogue Theatre in Downtown Fernie (Open to public)
Thursday, March 22
Ski industry panel discussions 4-6pm at the Fernie Seniors Centre, 562 Third Ave – open to everyone.
• The history of catskiing in Fernie with Doug Feely, CEO of Island Lake Resort Group and Kim Sedrovic – owner, Fernie Wilderness Adventures
• The history of snow safety in the Southern Canadian Rockies with Dave Aikens snow safety consultant
• The future of print ski media with Iain McMillan of Ski Canada Magazine, Mike Berard of Skiing Magazine and Krista Turcasso of Claris Media.
Friday, March 23
Ski industry panel discussions 4-5pm at the Fernie Seniors Centre, 562 Third Ave – open to everyone.
• History of ski development in BC and the future of mountain living towns – Al Raine, mayor, Sun Peaks Resort Municipality
• Building brands for the future – Sheldon Decosse, Decosse Custom Skis and Mitch Scott, Publisher, Kootenay Mountain Culture magazine
Friday night – street party in downtown Fernie!
Saturday, March 24
• Telemark Ski Events at Fernie Alpine Resort
• Ski Heritage Week Celebrations at Fernie Alpine Resort including a Torchlight Run, Fireworks & Ski Heritage Party in the Griz Bar!